Reading Life Writing Contest
Win 10,000 dollars for your picture book manuscript! Peter H. Reynolds is one of the judges.
The winners will have the opportunity to sign publishing contracts with the sponsors to publish the manuscripts in different languages. Each winner will be required to agree that sponsors have a one-year priority option to publish the winner’s manuscript to receive the cash prize.
Deadline for submissions is April 30, 2021.
Winners will be announced in October 2021.
Details about submissions can be found here.
1. Manuscript must be text written for children age three (3) – eight (8). Illustrations are not accepted.
2. Manuscript may be fiction, nonfiction, or poetry.
3. Manuscript must be no longer than 1,000 words.
4. Manuscript may be submitted in any of the following languages: English, Spanish, German, French, or Chinese.
5. Manuscript must be your original work.
6. Manuscript has not been previously published and is not under any publishing agreement in any language anywhere in the world.
7. Manuscript is not currently under consideration by any other competition or by any other publisher.
8. Manuscript will not be submitted to any other competition or any other publisher before the announcement of the result of this contest.
9. Each entrant may upload one (1) Manuscript during the Contest Submission Period.
10. Entrants must be individuals who are at least twenty-one (21) years old at the time of entry.
(For more information, please read the Official Rules. Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Submit your picture book manuscript here.
Lee and Low New Voices Competition (for BIPOC)
The New Voices Award is given annually by children’s book publisher Lee & Low Books for a children’s picture book manuscript by a writer of color or Native/Indigenous writer.
- The contest is open to writers of color and Indigenous/Native writers who are residents of the United States and at least 18 years old at the time of entry, and who have not previously had a children’s picture book traditionally published.
- Participants remain eligible if they have published work in other venues and genres, including children’s magazines, middle-grade, and young adult fiction or nonfiction, and adult fiction or nonfiction. Authors of self-published books are also eligible, but they should submit a new manuscript, not a project that has been previously self-published. Writers cannot have had a picture book traditionally published if they’re applying for the New Voices Award.
- Only unagented manuscripts will be considered.
- Manuscripts previously submitted for this award or to LEE & LOW BOOKS’ general submissions will not be considered.
Established in 2000, the New Voices Award encourages writers of color and Native Nations to submit their work to a publisher that takes pride in nurturing new talent.
The Award winner receives a cash prize of $2,000 and our standard publication contract, including our basic advance and royalties for a first-time author. An Honor Award winner will receive a cash prize of $1,000.
- Manuscripts should address the needs of children of color and Native Nations by providing stories with which they can identify and relate, and which promote a greater understanding of one another. Themes relating to non-traditional family structures, gender identity, or disabilities may also be included.
- Submissions may be FICTION, NONFICTION, or POETRY for children ages 5 to 12. Only stories with human protagonists will be considered.
- Manuscripts should be no more than 1500 words in length and accompanied by a cover letter that includes the author’s name, address, phone number, email address, brief biographical note, relevant cultural and ethnic information, how the author heard about the award, and publication history, if any.
- Manuscripts should be typed double-spaced.
- Up to two submissions per entrant. Each submission should be submitted separately.
- The manuscript you submit to the New Voices contest may not be submitted to other publishers, agents, mentorship contests, writing contests, or to LEE & LOW’s general submissions while under consideration for this award.
- LEE & LOW BOOKS is not responsible for late, lost, or incorrectly submitted manuscripts. Be sure you leave enough time to resubmit if technical difficulties occur.
The New Voices Award will reopen in May 2021. Go here for more information.